Portions provided by AdEspresso.com
As a small business, one of the most inexpensive ways you can market to your customers and potential customers is through Facebook Ads. According to a survey by Kleiner Perkins, 78% of American consumers say they've discovered products on Facebook and 58% of consumers say that social media influences their shopping. You may think it seems complicated or you don't understand it, but by following these simple steps, you'll be showing up in your prospects' news feed in no time and potentially generating some new business.
Step One - Create a Facebook Business Manager account. If you don't already have a Facebook page for your business, you'll need to create one prior to running ads on the platform. Check out the instructions provided by Facebook. Go to business.facebook.com. Click Create Account. Enter a name for your business, select the primary page (your Facebook business page) and enter your name and work email address. Enter your information in the rest of the required fields. You will create your advertising account within Business Manager. On the left, click Accounts > Ad Accounts. Create a New Ad Account. You'll then need to set up your Payment Settings to add your credit card information and payment details.
Step Two - Create your ad. The recommended size for a Facebook ad is 1,200 x 628 pixels and they should be saved as either a png or jpg. If you don't have access to graphics programs yourself, there are plenty of online options that will help you create your ad, such as Canva, Snappa or Desygner. Remember to keep your message short, include a call to action and have graphics that include a lot of color contrast.
Step Three - Create your campaign. From within Business Manager, click the dropdown to go to Ads Manager. Click the Campaigns tab, then the green +Create button.
- Select your Campaign Objective.
- Name your campaign; be specific so it's easy to remember later what you were advertising including the name, the target audience, the creative type (video, carousel) and what Facebook page it's tied to if you have more than one.
- Set up audience targeting. As you build your audience, it will display your estimated daily reach so you can determine if it's too big or too small. You can target by location, demographics, interests and behavior.
- Set up your ad placement. By default, Facebook will have "automatic placements" selected including Facebook, Instagram and Audience Network.
- Set up your campaign budget. You can choose to set either a daily budget or a lifetime budget. It's recommended you set a daily budget with an unlimited campaign duration so you can later edit the size of your daily budgets and pause the campaign whenever you see fit.
- Set up your Facebook Ad. A simple type to choose for just beginning a Link Click Ad. Keep the main ad text to less than 90 characters, the headline to less than 25 characters and the link description to less than 90 characters. It links to your website or landing page and can generate Likes for your Facebook page too. Remember to check comments and reply to them for engagement!
- Publish it! You'll be able to return to Ads Manager to view how your ad is performing including the reach, number of views and number of clicks through to your website.